Due to the current situation, the Salzburg University of Applied Sciences (SUAS) has adopted a number of risk management measures (e.g. rules of conduct for employees and students, continuous monitoring of the situation, communication with the public authorities, reinforced cleaning and installing disinfectant soaps in all sanitary facilities) and preparing for any possible resulting scenarios.
Update Corona #13
Status 31.03.2020, 14:00
At yesterday's (Monday, 30.03.2020) press conference, the Austrian Federal Government presented further recommendations regarding the current situation. Unfortunately, the number of new infection cases has not declined to the desired level. Therefore, for the time being - based on current knowledge - there will be no relaxation of the current measures taken. This morning, Mr. Faßmann, the Minister of Education and Science held a press conference, with the interim resolution that further decisions regarding the area of education will be decided after Easter, to follow in line with the decisions made by the Federal Government.
What does this mean for the Salzburg University of Applied Sciences?
- On the basis of our assessment and current knowledge of the situation, we assume that we will probably not be able to provide any attendance classes - even in small groups - at any of our locations until the end of this summer semester. This means that the attendance-free phase will continue after Easter. As a result, it will be necessary to conduct teaching and studies online, whereever possible. Research and administrative staff continuing their home office environment until further notice.
- An update or modification to the semester regulations is currently being readjusted. These will be ratified and communicated to all as soon as possible - probably this week. There will also be recommendations and regulations concerning the areas of study and examinations. Technical tools for the implementation of (collective) examinations are being worked on at full speed. You will be informed as soon as possible of all developments.
- In order to implement the measures of reducing social contacts efficiently, events and activities at all FH Salzburg locations have been cancelled during the attendance-free period - i.e. until the end of the semester.
We would like to thank you again for your understanding and commitment during this difficult time and ask you to continue to support us in the joint implementation of these measures. Check your FH email account regularly and monitor our online channels. On the web (www.fh-salzburg.ac.at/corona) you will find FAQs about the effects of Corona on the FH Salzburg - these pages are being constantly updated and extended.
We wish you and your relatives all the best.
Best regards, and stay healthy!
Your University Management and Rectorate
Update Corona #12
Status 25.03.2020, 11:30
dear external lecturers,
we hope you have settled in well into your home office mode and are making good progress. This new form of working, teaching and learning, can develop into many new opportunities and possibilities.
Mandatory presence teaching at all Austrian universities is currently suspended until after Easter (14.04.2020). The necessary e-learning alternatives were quickly implemented and their use is increasing daily. It is still unclear what will happen beyond this date.
We know that we cannot answer all your questions and queries sufficiently - too much is still uncertain and in limbo at present. A great deal cannot be decided by the FH Salzburg itself; (higher education) political framework conditions are still being discussed at the federal level. We will have to wait for the decisions made by the Federal Government.
We assure you: As soon as news and decisions are available, we, the crisis management team, will inform you immediately - we meet daily and are in constant communication with the responsible authorities and ministries.
We wish you and your relatives all the best for the future!
Should you become aware of any new Corona (suspected) cases within the FH environment, please inform the management immediately (via email to email@example.com). It is only in this way that we, as your employer, can fulfil our duty to inform the authorities and any possibly affected FH members.
We also ask you to regularly check your FH email account and to monitor the online channels of the FH Salzburg (myFHS, website, social media). On the web (www.fh-salzburg.ac.at/corona) you will find FAQs on the effects of Corona at the FH Salzburg - these FAQs are being updated and extended continuously.
Best regards, and stay healthy!
Your University Management and Rectorate
Update Corona #11
Status 13.03.2020, 18:00
the situation regarding Corona is constantly changing; here is the latest information for you (as of 16.03.2020, 12:30 pm):
Access for visitors closed as of today: Campus Urstein and Campus Kuchl will be closed to all visitors from Monday, 16.03.2020, 13:00 hrs. Access is only possible for staff members with FHS cards in urgent cases.
Persons commissioned by the crisis management team who are necessary for the maintenance of the systems (e.g. IT infrastructure, building services or similar) are the only ones to be exempted from this regulation.
This measure is valid until after Easter (Tuesday, 14.04.2020).
Standby duty on weekdays from 08:00 to 13:00: Standby duty for telephone, deliveries, mail etc. will be set up at the two locations Urstein and Kuchl - more information will follow.
First corona case with FHS reference: What was only a matter of time has now unfortunately happened. On Sunday afternoon we received the news that a student at the Urstein campus had been tested positive. The affected department was informed promptly and in detail, as well as persons who were in direct contact with the student.
If you have been to one of the communicated high risk areas during the last 2 weeks, we ask you not to come to the FH for the next 14 days under any circumstances!
Mensa: FAGO, the canteen at Campus Urstein, has also ceased operations as of today, 16.03.2020, and until further notice (the canteen at Campus Kuchl has been closed since 12.03.2020).
We kindly ask you to regularly check your FH E-Mail account and to monitor the online channels of the FH Salzburg (myFHS, website, social media).
Update Corona #09
Status 13.03.2020, 18:00
The situation around Corona and the associated recommendations or requirements change daily.
We therefore need to update the following information (as of 13.03.2020, 18:00 hrs):
Examinations/Supervision of students: Due to the changing situation and new developments, all examinations requiring presence will be suspended until 13.04.2020.
Until 13.04.2020, small group or individual meetings have to be conducted online or by telephone only.
Libraries in Urstein and Kuchl: The libraries on Urstein campus and Kuchl campus will be closed from Monday 16 March until further notice. Access to the online databases from outside the FH Salzburg will continue.
Cafeterias: The FAGO, the Mensa at the Urstein Campus will continue to operate with restrictions. The cafeteria on the Kuchl campus has already been closed as of 12.03.2020.
We ask you to reduce your personal contacts as far as possible. Any personal contact that does not take place will help to prevent further spread of the virus.
Furthermore, we ask you to check your FH E-Mail account regularly and to monitor the online channels of the FH Salzburg (myFHS, website, social media).
Update Corona #06
Status 11.03.2020, 16:30
We will be pleased to inform you - in addition to the previous updates - about the latest news:
E-Learning: The Information Services (IS) department is currently working hard - together with the E-Learning Team - to develop initial proposals for online-solutions. These will be available by Friday 13.03.2020.
Excursions: Excursions are also courses and therefore must also be cancelled (until 13.04.2020).
Events: All internal and external events with visitors in the FH Salzburg buildings until 14.04.2020 must be cancelled by the respective responsible persons (on all channels)!
Please note: "The Long Night of Research" (Lange Nacht der Forschung) has already been postponed by the Federal Ministry to Friday, 09.10.2020.
We will inform you about further developments and measures as soon as possible.
We also ask you to check your e-mail account regularly and to use the online channels of the FH Salzburg (website, myFHS, social media).
Update Corona #05
Status 11.03.2020, 13:00
- As informed by e-mail yesterday (March 10th, 2020), mandatory attendance courses (on-site instruction) are suspended. In other words: classes at the FH Salzburg have been cancelled until further notice - regardless of the number of students.
- All measures mentioned above remain in effect until April 13th, 2020
- As of Thursday, March 12th, 2020 all project/seminar/meeting rooms/labs will be closed for all students.
- There will be no exceptions taken for students on evenings/weekends.
- The libraries and AV-rentals will remain open for the borrowing and returning of books and media.
- FAGO, the Campus Urstein cafeteria will be open starting Monday, March 16th, 2020 from 10am - 1pm.
- The cafeteria at the Kuchl Campus will remain closed as of Monday, March 16th, 2020.
General information regarding study programme operations:
Examinations will be taking place as planned until further notice. Group examinations are held in large lecture halls (such as Audimax, HS 110, lecture halls in Kuchl). Sufficient space between students must be ensured! Please be sure to observe the hygiene measures already mentioned (shaking hands, sneezing ...).
Supervision of students: Small group or individual meetings between departmental advisors and students (e.g. for bachelor/master theses) will continue to take place. If possible, these meetings can also be carried out via e-mail or telephone. This also applies to small project groups.
Internships: Compulsory internships will continue take place subject to special regulations by the internship advisors. Students who cannot or do not wish to complete their internship are requested to contact the faculty administration as soon as possible.
The FH Salzburg welcomes the precautionary measures taken by the Federal Government and supports their implementation. We thank all those involved and/or affected by the situation for their understanding and for their continued support during the coming weeks.
You will be informed as soon as further developments and measures at the FH Salzburg become apparent. We request that you further continue to check your e-mail account and use the online channels of the FH Salzburg (website, myFHS, social media).
Update #04: OPEN HOUSE cancelled; attendance lectures (on-site teaching) suspended until further notice
Status: 10 March 2020, 13:30
Latest update: OPEN HOUSE cancelled; attendance lectures (on-site teaching) suspended until further notice
As a reminder, at the moment there is no suspected case of Corona at the FH Salzburg.
However: Today at noon, the Federal Government defined new measures which are to take effect by decree today.
- Due to this regulation we have to cancel the Open House this Friday, 13 March 2020.
- Courses with mandatory attendance (on-site teaching) will be suspended with immediate effect until further notice and will be converted to digital teaching formats if possible.
- All FH staff will continue their work.
- The crisis team of the FH Salzburg is in permanent communication and will continue to meet as well as announce any changes/ news promptly.
- We will inform you about further developments and measures at FH Salzburg as soon as possible. We therefore request that you continue to regularly check your e-mail account and use the online channels of the FH Salzburg (website, myFHS, social media).
Status: 3 March 2020, 14:00
Anyone affiliated with the SUAS experiencing the typical infection symptoms or having spent time in an area where Covid-19 cases have been identified (travel warnings from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs) or been in contact with an infected person is requested to remain at home and not come on campus. This also applies to visitors and guests.
- Persons experiencing symptoms are to phone 1450 (no area code necessary Austria-wide)
- Those not experiencing symptoms but requesting additional information are to call the Infoline 0800 555 621 of the Austrian Agency for Health and Food Safety GmbH
- Both hotlines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- It is essential that you contact the administration firstname.lastname@example.org immediately concerning any (suspected) cases.
In general, the following applies:
- The SUAS is in operation - at all locations – without restrictions.
- Business trips and/or excursions to affected regions are to follow the terms and conditions in the employment regulations; https://myfhs.fh-salzburg.ac.at/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=11207640 as well as possible travel warnings in accordance with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (current tips to be found under https://www.bmeia.gv.at/reise-aufenthalt/reiseinformation/).
- Do not hesitate to speak with your superior (department head/division head).
- Avoid your place of work or study should you begin to experience symptoms such as fever or coughing, shortness of breath or breathing difficulties especially if you were in one of the risk regions.
Media inquiries are to be forwarded to, and explicitly answered by, our Marketing and Communication department email@example.com where they will be centrally coordinated and answered for the SUAS.
- We would like to direct your attention once again to the recommendations of the Austrian Agency for Health and Food Safety GmbH; the following points are to be adhered to:
- Wash your hands several times a day with water and disinfectant soap (these can be found in all sanitary facilities at all SUAS locations).
- Should you have to cough or sneeze, cover your nose and mouth with a tissue – not your hands!
- Avoid direct contact with sick persons.
At the current time there is no knowledge of risk for the SUAS. The situation will be actively monitored and when necessary, any changes in the situation will be reported.
Status: 26 February 2020, 14:30
The Corona virus has reached Austria; the first cases have been confirmed.
The health of our employees, teachers and students here at the Salzburg University of Applied Sciences (SUAS) is a top priority. It is our responsibility to monitor the ongoing situation and remain in close contact with the applicable public authorities.
This e-mail is meant to provide you with up-to-date information, tips and rules of conduct from the Ministry of Education, Science and Research (see the attached e-mail); as well as the Salzburg Land link https://www.salzburg.gv.at/themen/gesundheit/corona-virus for more information.
Business trips to affected regions are to follow the terms and conditions in the employment regulations; https://myfhs.fh-salzburg.ac.at/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=11207640 as well as possible travel warnings in accordance with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (to be found in Jobrouter-Dienstreiseantrag). If necessary, do not hesitate to speak with your superior. Media inquiries are to be forwarded to, and explicitly answered by our Marketing and Communication department firstname.lastname@example.org where they will be answered for the SUAS.
We would like to take this opportunity to inform you that disinfectant soaps can be found in all sanitary facilities of the SUAS.