The Twin²Sim project consists of a test stand, test rooms and a multifunctional laboratory in a research building.
Twin2Sim: Multifunctional test stand
The project serves the holistic investigation of complex building envelopes and building services engineering within the framework of a multifunctional test stand for façades (short-term investigations of 2-6 months) and a test building, in which the previously characterised façade components can be evaluated in the long term (several years). The test building further serves the evaluation of building services engineering installations in interaction with space and users. After the measurement, simulation and modelling takes place and thus the further development on digital twins is possible. This helps to reduce future development costs by reducing physical prototypes. For only the second time in Austria, the facility allows the measurement of the sound insulation of components in a test stand in timber construction and, for the first time, also the measurement of the longitudinal sound conduction. This function is particularly significant for the development of lightweight (wooden) components, as there are no calculation options for such components and simulation is still exclusively of a research nature.
Simulation on the digital twin
With the know-how of the FH Salzburg, components and systems are represented by suitable models using simulations. Further development steps can subsequently be modelled on these digital twins. This procedure does not replace standardised tests, but it saves them having to be carried out several times in the course of development.Twin²Sim is used in funded research projects and in contract research.
High-quality timber construction architecture
The project integrates scientific testing into high-quality timber construction architecture (passive house ready), which will enhance Campus Kuchl both functionally and architecturally. Workplace for additional 20 people is created, which corresponds to an increase of 30% at the site.
Integration into teaching
Integration into teaching and training takes place through the use of the facility as an opportunity for prototype construction with subsequent measurement based evaluation, as a demonstration object for construction, building and control technology and through research-led teaching.
Incubator for the economy
The facility sees itself as an incubator for R&D and business, especially for SMEs without own research facilities, and is available to companies on a non-discriminatory basis, e.g. in the context of cooperative research projects.
Exploded view of test stand construction
Very constant temperature conditions are required in the test stand in order to be able to assess the influence of the test specimens on the room. Therefore, all external surfaces are heated or cooled on two levels and the energy used for this is measured. In addition, temperature, humidity, heat flow, solar radiation, wind and, if required, other physical parameters are recorded in the exterior and interior spaces as well as on the components themselves.
Who is researching at Twin2Sim?
The Team initiated the project, created the basic concept and will use the project for experiments and tests on building envelopes, hydrogen and building technology. The research team will have its workplaces in the project and thus also provide research subjects, e.g. for studies on comfort.
Forest Products Technology & Timber Constructions
The team is responsible for tests on timber construction and airborne sound insulation.
Alpine Building Centre
The Alpine Builidng Centre handles the project funding, has carried out the planning of the scientific facilities and the test fields, and will use the project for experiments and tests on building envelopes and building services technology. The research team will have its workplaces in the project and thus also provide research subjects, e.g. for studies on comfort.
The project is funded by the province of Salzburg within the framework of WISS2025.
Location: Campus Kuchl
Funding Body: Province of Salzburg
Project volume: € 2.2 million
Net floor space: approx. 400 m²
Project start: 09/2019
Start of construction: 04/2021
Completion of construction: 12/2021
Validation and calibration: 07/2022 (individual tests are already possible during the validation phase)
Current Progress at Construction Site at Kuchl Campus
Project Team Twin2Sim
- Hartwig Reiter, Head of Department Infrastructure & Organisation, Commercial Project Manager
- Michael Grobbauer, Head of Alpine Building Centre, Scientific Project Manager, Funding, Testing of Building Envelopes and Structures
- Markus Leeb, Head of Research Smart Building, Deputy Scientific Project Manager, Funding, Testing Building Technology and Energy Systems
- Lutz Dorsch, building physics, calculations, simulations
- Matthias Gnigler, support planning building construction
- Stefan Eder, support planning building construction
- Daniel Heidenthaler, support planning building services, simulations
- David Rinnerthaler, support measurement and control technology
- Elisabeth Wieder, funding
- Hermann Huber, planning support timber construction, sound insulation tests
- Monika Tropper-Grinschgl, planning support timber construction, sound insulation tests
The following companies have granted donations in kind or discount on products:
The following companies have pledged donations in kind or discount on products:
- AMC S.A., Industrialdea
- COMPRIBAND-DICHTUNGEN Gesellschaft m.b.H.
- Eternit Österreich GmbH
- FlaktGroup Austria GmbH
- FRITZ EGGER GmbH & Co. OG
- Geberit Vertriebs GmbH & Co KG
- Gesa Transporttechnik - Ing. Gerhard Sandhofer Gesellschaft m.b.H.
- Hoval Gesellschaft m.b.H.
- IMO Holding GmbH
- Raiffeisenverband Salzburg eGen
- Leviat B.V.
- Saint-Gobain Rigips Austria GesmbH
- Schlotterer Sonnenschutz Systeme GmbH
- Theurl Timber Structures GmbH
- TROX Austria GmbH
- Uponor Vertriebs GmbH
- URSA Dämmsysteme Austria GmbH
- WILO Pumpen Österreich GmbH
- Wolf Klima- und Heiztechnik GmbH
Project Management and Planners
- Projektsteuerung, ÖBA: SABAG, Salzburg
- Architektur: LP architektur ZT GmbH, Altenmarkt i.Pg.
- Statik: Lackner I Egger ZT GmbH, Villach
- Gebäudetechnik: TB Dick+Harner GmbH, Salzburg
- Elektrotechnik: TB Herbst GmbH, Salzburg
- MSR Technik: NOVIAS GmbH, Haag
- Schallschutz Prüfstand: ACOM Research, Thomasberg
- Maschinenbau: ENRAG GmbH, Attnang-Puchheim
- Kulturtechnik: DI Anselmi ZT GmbH, Wals-Siezenheim
- Brandschutz: Ingenieurbüro Eichinger Gerhard, Kuchl
- Bauphysik: Baumanagement Höllbacher, Salzburg